Text Box: Nicholas Rice
Extreme High Altitude Athlete
Text Box: Xpedition 8000

2009 Solo Manaslu Expedition

Dispatch Thirty-two: April 24th, 2009

Day Thirty-two: Manaslu Base Camp; Wait for Summit Window

After hearing the last of the Italians leave base camp for Camp I, I emerged from my tent and had a peaceful breakfast. Afterward, I headed down to Lina’s camp where her team was debating various aspects of their summit bid. We ad discovered that a respected climber on another team had told everyone that the weather would be horrible on the 28th so that they would rush up ahead and establish the route to the summit. He, however, stayed put in base camp so that he could go up behind the others and avoid having to break trail or fix ropes. All the forecasts I had received had called for the best weather to be from the 27th-30th or possible till the first of May. I decided that I will either head up to Camp I tomorrow or go directly to Camp II on the 26th, making my summit day either the 28th or 29th of April (the 29th being if I decide to establish  a Camp IV around 7,400 meters on the ridge). I headed back to my base camp to have dinner; I had requested momo which the cook was more than happy to prepare. I ate in the kitchen and practiced speaking what little of the Nepali language I knew then went to bed in a very windy base camp, thankful I had waited to go up.

Copyright © 2007-2008, nickrice.us All Rights Reserved